Mujalifah's mighty musings in mirth and magnanimity

Monday, March 14, 2005

a soundtrack to life

Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet - Gavin Bryars - If you haven't heard it, perhaps you ought to, but i won't say that you must. But read this:

"The door of the recording room opened on to one of the large painting studios and I left the tape copying, with the door open, while I went to have a cup of coffee. When I came back I found the normally lively room unnaturally subdued. People were moving about much more slowly than usual and a few were sitting alone, quietly weeping." - Gavin Bryars' writeup on how this came about.

What I'd never noticed before is his comment on the unpredictability of the tape loop of the man singing:
"I noticed, too, that the first section of the song - 13 bars in length - formed an effective loop which repeated in a slightly unpredictable way." I wonder what he means by that.

SImon turner - hymn for thatcher - Much like Gavin Bryars, which i had heard a couple of years ago. This tune I heard for the first time yesterday. it describes an overwhelming dillema which culminates in a moment with a woman who, though in the company of her own privacy, disgustedly she realizes that she's allowed herself to be penetrated by music that betrays what she has convinced herself of as pure hogwash. angered at herself for being caught unawares, she tries to drown the music - she tries to move on. but it does not let her go easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home